Tuesday, April 27, 2010

Reflection on Rape of Nanking


The reading we received on the Rape of Nanking was shocking to say the least. I had heard of this event maybe once or twice beforehand but I never knew exactly what it was about. The Rape of Nanking was a brutal attack on the city of Nanking in China by Japanese military forces. Thousands of citizens, including women and even children (as seen in the picture) were murdered and raped in cold blood. One reason for this brutal attack on citizens was the strict military preparation that the Japanese soldiers received. Thousands of Chinese were massacred during this six week period. During this time, the Japanese did unimaginable things. They raped children and women and some even held "killing contests". After reading about this I was sickened to my stomach. I honestly could not believe that something such as this was allowed to happen and no one stopped it. However, even through this dark time some light shone through. John Rabe, a German businessman living in Nanking at the time, helped establish the Nanking Safety Zone. This zone was a small area in Nanking where refugees could find safety from the relentless Japanese soldiers. With his efforts and that of many other people as well, this safety zone helped treat many with injuries and also helped prevent many other injuries. While reading about Rabe, someone who could have easily left Nanking for safety and instead decided to risk his life to help people he did not even know, I was inspired. Rabe is a true hero and many years later the Chinese repaid him by helping him with his financial problems. The Rape of Nanking is one of the worst massacres in history and I am surprised to only just now have been taught about it. I am glad I now know the horrible actions that took place there even though much of it made me sick to my stomach.

1 comment:

  1. Your blog helped me through my assignment and helped me understand this event in the history better. Thank-you!

    ReplyDelete