Sunday, May 16, 2010

Reflection on the Arab-Israeli Conflict

Last week each person in our class was assigned to be either a historian, a mediator, a Palestinian or an Israelite. We each presented information based on which side or what position we held. Before our whole week on the Arab-Israeli conflict, I really had no idea on what this conflict was about. Sure I had heard about it before but why it occurred and what was happening in this war were questions that I could not answer. However, after much research and debate on the subject, I can now say I have a clear idea about what the reason for this conflict was. I can also understand on how this conflict was able to carry on for so many years because it really is hard to come up with a plan that satisfies both sides. I really enjoyed the part where we got with the other members of our group and stated what our group wanted and what we were willing to give up. After all the research for my own position, Palestine, I had a strong opinion that Palestine was being wronged more in this war. Therefore the debate was heated and everything that the Israelites were saying seemed to make me angry. However, I listened to the proposals by the historians and mediators and I was able to accept the plans if the Israelites do as well. It was really fun and I enjoyed pretending to be a Palestinian. It has also taught me a lot about this war so now I am no longer clueless.

No comments:

Post a Comment